I had another request from a subscriber to go over some arm care exercises this week. I put together a video below of 4 exercises I consistently use with our throwers during arm care days, or after a throwing session.
Don’t be the person who doesn’t do any arm care. Take it from me…I never did any, and I had Tommy John in High School, then a SLAP Tear in College.
Take the 10 extra minutes to do some arm care!
HERE’S WHAT’S IN THE VIDEO:
- Forearm Wall Slides are a great shoulder mobility exercise. This exercise works your scap protractors, and your lower traps, which assist in upward rotation. Kind of important if you throw things overhead!
✅Key Cue: Make sure you are not substituting lumbar extension to get overhead. Engage your core to keep your rib cage down.
- Quadruped T-Spine Rotations are a great exercise to mobilize your upper back and thoracic spine. Having a mobile T-spine will prevent you from substituting with your lower back to rotate. Throwing a baseball is a violent rotation. Using your lower back will impact your performance and possibly your injury risk.
✅Key Cue: Keep your hips and lower back as still as possible. Follow your elbow with your eyes as you perform left and right rotation.
- 3-Point Contact Y Scap Raises help maintain muscular balance. You can make this exercise more difficult by lifting a dumbbell. Just be sure to maintain proper technique.
✅Key Cue: Make sure you don’t lift your arm too high. You should be able to draw a straight line from your hips through your shoulder and arm at the top of the lift.
- Stability Overhead Press is a great strength and endurance exercise for the posterior shoulder muscles. As you press overhead, you must stabilize as the band tries to pull you forward.
✅Key Cue: Use a lighter band. Nobody is handing out world records for stability overhead press in the gym!
Latest posts by Nick Esposito (see all)
- 5 Sprint Drills Designed for Baseball Players - October 8, 2019
- Nutrition for Baseball Performance - September 10, 2019
- The 3 Foundations to Your Nutrition: Macronutrients - August 13, 2019